Former Reuters social media editor pleads 'not guilty' to hacking

5:19 PM, Apr 23, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A social media editor who has worked for two of the nation's largest news-gathering organizations has pleaded not guilty to charges that he conspired with hackers to deface the website of the Los Angeles Times.

Matthew Keys made his first appearance in federal court Tuesday since he was charged last month, but he made no comments.

Before the hearing in Sacramento, his attorney, Jay Leiderman, said Keys "didn't do the acts he's accused of doing."

Keys, who is 26, is charged with giving the hacking group Anonymous the login credentials to the computer system of The Tribune Co., which owns the Times.

He was fired by a Sacramento television station owned by Tribune two months before the Times' website was hacked. On Monday, Keys said he has been fired by his most recent employer, the Reuters news service.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

Most Watched Videos