Michigan boy paralyzed after contracting virus through mosquito bite

2:10 PM, Jun 26, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

FOWLER, Michigan (WDIV) -- Travis Thelen of Fowler, Michigan looks like a typical 10-year-old boy enjoying his summer.

But this past year has been anything but typical for him. The first hint of trouble came last August.

"He just started running a fever one day and complaining of a bad headache," said Travis' mother Marti Thelen.

Thelen said the fever faded, but he developed another problem.

When Travis began falling down, they realized something was seriously wrong.

"They admitted us into Sparrow Hospital. That was on Friday. By Sunday he wasn't walking at all. It went from a fever to not walking," his mother said.

The weakness spread to his left arm and hand. The diagnosis was West Nile virus.

Most Watched Videos