Dozens sickened by school fumes

6:02 PM, Dec 3, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ATLANTA, Georgia (NBC) -- Dozens of students at an Atlanta elementary school were sent to the hospital Monday morning after a faulty furnace started spewing dangerous fumes.

43 children from Finch Elementary in southwest Atlanta were treated after complaining of symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Emergency personnel traced the source of the noxious fumes to a faulty furnace that was emitting levels of carbon monoxide described as "extremely dangerous".

In addition to the children, six adults went to the hospital, also complaining of some dizziness, nausea and terrible headaches.

The situation in Atlanta is almost identical to one in Philadelphia a month ago.

About 50 children were sickened by carbon monoxide fumes coming from a generator that had blown a gasket.

Like Georgia and many other states, Pennsylvania does not require carbon monoxide detectors in schools.

Most Watched Videos