PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - Chef Shannon Bard from Zapoteca in Portland cooks up a Barbacoa de Borrego as part of this year's Harvest on the Harbor festival.
Vegetable Oil - 1 TBS
Garlic Cloves - Dry Roasted - 5 each
Dried Ancho Chiles - Seeded/ Deveined /Dry Roasted / Re-hydrated
Dried Guajillo Chiles - Seeded/ Deveined /Dry Roasted / Re-hydrated
Apple Cider Vinegar
1 - 3 inch stick
Avocado Leaves Dried
6 oz - crumbled
Sliced White Onions
- Adobo - Combine all ingredients in blender. Puree , adding water as necessary, to create a smooth Paste. Preheat oil over medium low heat. Pour entire amount of sauce into pan being careful as mixture will "splatter" Fry sauce over low heat for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour 3 cups of water into bottom of roasting pan.
- Remove generous amount of fat and all silver skin from lamb. Generously rub lamb with Adobo. Sprinkle lamb with avodado leaves and sliced onions.
- Wrap Lamb in banana leaves and place on roasting rack in pan.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and cook in pre-heated oven for 3.5 - 4 hours until fork tender.
- Remove from oven. Remove lamb from bone and shred with fork.
- Serve atop warm tortillas with Pasilla Tomatillo salsa and fresh cilantro.