Fire damages conveyor belt at MERC in Biddeford

10:56 PM, Dec 9, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BIDDEFORD, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A fire in Biddeford drew attention but didn't cause a whole lot of damage Sunday afternoon.

The flames broke out around 2:30pm at the soon-to-be-shuttered Maine Energy Recovery Company, or MERC.

The Biddeford Fire Department says trash and debris on a conveyor belt had caught fire, but it was contained within a half hour.

The flames only damaged the trash and the conveyor belt.

Five crews helped out and no one was injured.

The city of Biddeford bought MERC just a few weeks ago, they'll be shutting it down at the end of the month and using a facility in Westbrook to handle their waste.

The plant will be repurposed for development.












Most Watched Videos