Shannon Bard, the executive chef at Portland's Zapoteca, has an ideal Valentine's Day dessert: Chocolate Strawberries with Chocolate Tequila Mousse.
More information on SHANNON BARD
More information on ZAPOTECA
Chocolate Covered Strawberries With Chocolate-Tequila Mousse
Yield: 12 Strawberries
Ingredients - Chocolate - Tequila Cream
3.5 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate
¾ cup light Cream
2 TBS Good Quality Silver Tequila (I prefer Herradura Blanco)
1-1/4 cups Whipping Cream
1 Tbs Powdered Sugar - Sifted
Ingredients - Chocolate Covered Strawberries
12 - Long Stemmed or large Strawberries
6 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate
Preparation - Chocolate - Tequila Cream
1. In a double boiler, combine chocolate and light cream. Heat over low heat until chocolate has melted. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Once Chocolate has cooled, stir in tequila.
3. Pour whipping cream into large bowl or bowl of stand mixer. Whip on medium speed until cream has formed soft peaks. Slowly whisk in powdered sugar and then melted chocolate.
4. Spoon mixture into piping bag. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Preparation - Filled Strawberries
1. Using a small melon baller, create a small hole in the top, back-side of the strawberry. Carefully remove a small portion of the inside of the strawberry - creating a large enough cavity to fill the strawberry with the cream. Repeat with all strawberries.
2. Gently pipe the prepared chocolate - tequila cream into each strawberry.
Preparation - Chocolate Covered Strawberries
1. Place a large piece of parchment onto a baking sheet.
2. In double boiler, melt chocolate stirring often. Once completely melted and smooth, remove from heat.
3. Holding the strawberry by the stem, gently dip into the melted chocolate mixture. Lift and twist slightly allowing the excess chocolate to drip back into the pan.
4. Set aside on the parchment to cool and harden. Repeat with the remaining strawberries.